As you all know, I’m a big fan of the Missha Aqua Sun Gel, naming it one of my favourite SPF’s ever!
However recently there has been a new, updated version to this already excellent formula. In my head; I assumed perhaps a fragrance + essential oil free version (perhaps without the alcohol) had been made, and would overthrow my beloved older formula as the new champion SPF!
Well, in this Youtube Video, I swatch and compare the old Missha Aqua Sun Gel VS the New Missha Aqua Sun Gel!
I provide swatches, face swatches, texture swatches AND discuss potential dupes if you can’t get your hands on either product. And I also discuss my personal judgement and conclusion on which is best…
I hope you enjoy watching! Product and Video Links are down below!
Subscribe to the Channel for Future Skincare Videos!
Support the Blog / Instagram / Youtube on Patreon! Includes Perks and Benefits such as EXCLUSIVE Content! LINK HERE
In Conclusion: personally I still prefer the texture of the older formula. It still reigns supreme. I understand people do not like Alcohol in their SPF, but I simply counteract this by applying a hydrating or moisturising serum underneath and it works like a charm to prevent any water loss. The lower amount of silicone means that the older formula doesn’t form a layer on top of the skin, it sinks right in. There is no feeling of a product sitting on top of the skin or making me feel hot and bothered.
The new formula does have a slight more silicone-type texture to it, even if it is thin. But it’s now in the same line as all the other recently-made K-Beauty SPFs, as they all form a slight film on the skin due to the absence of alcohol and/or higher silicone content. I don’t appreciate the addition of Tinosorb M in the newer formula either as it’s going to exclude those with darker skin tones now. The scent of this spf isn’t nice and just as strong as the previous formula but in different ways. I also don’t appreciate the extremely shiny dewy finish that the older formula didn’t have.
Unfortunately the Missha Aqua Sun Gel’s older formula is still King (for me). I haven’t found a texture OR a finish quite like it and I fear that I never will. It truly is a one-of-a-kind formula and finish. But I will say that the newer formula seems to have newer SPF filters and that is very important.
SO, Will I repurchase the Newer Formula?: No. Although I don’t mind the glossy finish, I’m not a fan of the scent of this. And since the texture no longer matches the previous formula, there’s nothing keeping me loyal to the Missha Aqua Sun Gel family. I would prefer to purchase the Beauty of Joseon SPF which is similar in texture but is fragrance and essential oil free (LINK).
– NIVEA SUN UV Face Suncream SPF 50 Shine Control:
My Review – LINK / Available at – Boots: LINK / Superdrug: LINK
– Shiseido Anessa Perfect Sunscreen Milk SPF50+: Pa++++ Stylevana: LINK / Beauty Within: LINK
– Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun : Rice + Probiotic SPF50+: PA++++: LINK
– Isntree Hyaluronic Sun Gel SPF50+ PA+++: LINK Skinsider: LINK (My Review): LINK
– Director Pi x Soong Jung SPF 50+ PA++++: LINK / Stylevana: LINK
- Mentioned as the Western Dupe for the Older Missha Aqua Sun Gel Formula (has a matte Finish). But it is creamier (thicker).
– Anessa – Perfect Sunscreen MILK + GEL – SPF50+ Pa++++ Video:
- Mentioned as a dupe of the Older Missha Aqua Sun Gel Formula.
– Isntree Hyaluronic Acid SPF Video:
- Mentioned as another K-Beauty SPF I enjoy. A LOT less dewier/glossier than the updated Missha Formula and I would pick this over it!
– (Another SPF Video):
- If you would like to see any other SPF swatches + Reviews, there is thi svideo. I do think the Garnier Ambre Solair is definitely a decent dupe of the Missha Aqua Sun Gel’s newest formula (and it doesn’t contain Tinosorb M or Fragrance + EO).
My Skin Type: I am acne prone and have slightly dehydrated combo skin. My skin is usually tight where the cheeks and eye area is and the outer parts of my face. My T zone is oily. My skin isn’t a fan of thick/heavy formulas so I opt for lightweight formulas to prevent it from clogging up. My skin doesn’t like essential oils either and I try to avoid fragrance when I can.
Disclaimer: I am a skincare enthusiast and not a skin expert. I am not qualified to give out dermatological advice. This type of advice should only be given by a medical practitioner. Upon trying / using any of the reviewed products on the blog, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings and please seek medical advice if needed.
3 thoughts on “Missha All-Around Safe Block Aqua Sun Gel SPF50+ PA++++ – OLD VS NEW formula -Swatches + Review!”