Can be purchased on Cult Beauty: HERE Or Sephora: HERE
Longevity: 5-6 months, so use it quick!
What is this?: Potent Vitamin C day serum containing antioxidants, nutritents and fruit enzymes to help firm/tighten and brighten the appearance of skin and minimise ageing signs.
- Contains 15% pure L-ascorbic acid (potent vitamin C form), 0.5% ferulic acid and 1% vitamin E. also other formula-supporting enzymes and antioxidants to neutralise damaging pollutants and environmental stressors and free radicals. Replenishes lipids (skin barrier) and helps to reduce dark spots and wrinkles.
- Contains pumpkin ferment and pomegranate extracts to enzymatically dissolve dead skin cells on the surface (mild exfoliation) to reveal smoother texture.
- Contains a sodium hyaluronate cross-polymer – to help the formula quickly penetrate into the skin and provide hydration.
Directions: ‘In the morning, apply evenly to clean, dry face, neck, chest and back of hands.’
‘This contains pure L-ascorbic acid and is best when fresh, so use immediately and don’t stock up.’ – I agree with this statement.
How I use it: Due to the efficacy and price of this, I wanted this straight onto my skin so I used it straight after cleansing.
Good for: All skin types. Sensitive including (this did not irritate / burn my skin). Perhaps a slight warming sensation but that’s it.
15% (quite a potent amount) of L-Ascorbic acid (apparently making it active for up to 72 hours after application). Also ethoxydiglycol enhances penetration into the skin. The added HA and antioxidants shows that the long list of ingredients are added to bring important purposes / function to this product instead of being dumped in for no reason.
Full ingredients list:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Ascorbic Acid, Laureth-23, Glycerin, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum Fruit Ferment Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Phytosterols, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Ferulic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Glycine, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Isostearate, Propanediol, Pentylene Glycol, XanthaN Gum, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Chlorphenesin, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin
Texture: Feels smooth on the skin (near-oil) and rubs in well. Didn’t just sit on top of my skin and suffocate it.
Packaging: Excellent in terms of air-tightness and ease of use (no-mess).
Fragrance: None. Not the best smell – reminds me nearly of tamanu oil but with a vitamin C tang.
What I like:
- I like the texture (near-oily but not oily) and it feels nice on the skin. It didn’t make my skin feel like it couldn’t breath. Quite a ‘luxurious’ and unique texture.
- No fragrance
- Great for my skin (didn’t irritate it and I think, helped even out my skin tone)
- I like that I can use this in the day time! I usually use my other vitamin C products in the evening. So this will help boost my sun block’s efficacy.
- Very high potency of vitamin C and also other antioxidants.
- I like that thought has gone into the formulation / list of ingredients to improve the efficacy of this product.
What I don’t like:
- The price tag
- The slight oil-slick may be irritating for some people (it’s not like a pure oil however) Closer to Klairs vitamin C serum.
- How quickly this oxidises (so i’ve got to use this immediately after purchasing)
Conclusion: A potent, well-penetrating and nice-feeling serum. It is great if one can afford it.
Overall Score: 4.5/5 (not happy with the price as this is inaccessible to most people)
Would I repurchase?: The most pleasant-feeling vitamin C product I’ve used so far. I would repurchase if it didn’t cost an arm and a leg! I do like the potency of this. I haven’t found a high % vitamin C product that ALSO feels good on the skin without burning/itching or feeling like silicone.
7 thoughts on “Review: Drunk Elephant C-firma day serum”