Where to purchase: The Stratia Website HERE – The link gives you $10 off your first order
What is it?: A skin barrier-reinforcing moisturiser
Brand Description: ”A lightweight but powerful moisturizer that heals, hydrates, strengthens, and soothes.” – From the Stratia Website
What it does: Moisturising, Brightening + Repairing
Supposedly Good For: All skin types, especially dehydrated or over-exfoliated skin.
Stratia says: ”Those with normal to oily skin may find Liquid Gold is moisturizing enough to be their only moisturizer, while drier skin types may want to follow it with a heavier cream.” – I totally agree with this statement!- I think oily skins would find this perfectly fine as their PM moisturiser (keep the routine relatively short as it might all feel too much with a buttery product like this sealing everything on top as well). Dry skins – I think may use this as a first moisturiser with another second moisturiser.
Note: This product is all about keeping the skin’s barrier healthy and maintained, because if it isn’t – it can lead to all types of skin problems. Hence why if one’s skin is sensitised or feeling over-exfoliated, or if someone’s skin condition is poor, this is the type of product you could use in an extremely simplified routine to get your skin back up to scratch.
What I think: I think as long as one doesn’t live in hot and humid weather, this would be a nice PM moisturiser. When my skin was sensitised, I used this and didn’t get an irritated reaction. I think they mention dehydration because if your skin barrier is healthy and resilient, you should experience less water and moisture loss from the skin.
Why use this product?: By replenishing that fatty mixture in your stratum corneum, you can address skin issues such as dryness and dehydration.
Vegan?: Liquid Gold uses cholesterol derived from lanolin (the oil on sheep’s wool).
Cruelty Free?: Yes
Packaging: Plastic, long pump cylindrical tube. See-through so you can see how much product you’ve got left). This is that sort of mechanism where you should be able to get pretty much every last drop out (prefer this).
Support the Blog / Instagram / Youtube on Patreon! Includes Perks and Benefits such as EXCLUSIVE Content! LINK HERE
Directions: Use this as you would any moisturiser – if you have dry skin then perhaps using this as your first moisturiser and then a second moisturiser on top. Also Stratia state: ”The yellow colour is completely natural, caused by the bright red colour of sea buckthorn oil. It’s non-staining and vanishes on application for most skin types. Those with extremely pale skin may experience a temporary orange tint, so may want to only use Liquid Gold before bed.” – I put this here because I use this before bed due to the orange tint.
How I use it: I use this in the PM – I can’t use it in the AM because of the colour (tints my face a bit). I apply this at the end of my PM routine and use about 3 pumps for the face and neck. I really like to cover my face and slather this product on, so my skin can fully feel moisturised. It could be a case of I use a lot of product, so the orange does show up on my skin (as I’m not pale).
Key Ingredients: Ceramides – Skin-identical Lipids that help soothe and moisturise the skin. (hence why this is a fatty/buttery product). Sea Buckthorn Oil – where the signature colour of this product comes from. Contains unique fatty acids that help support the skin barrier. Niacinamide – all-round ingredient that helps with skin cell turnover and hyperpigmentation as well as help with fine lines and improve the function of the skin’s barrier.
Full Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Niacinamide, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Rosa Mosqueta (Rose) Hip Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Squalane (olive-derived), Cetyl Alcohol, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ceramide NP, Ceramide AP, Ceramide EOP, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA
NOTE: The Incidecoder have a full ingredient breakdown HERE
I like that this has panthenol (skin calming), and Glycerin (Humectant / mosituriser) as well as squalane (also in the Krave Oat So Simple Cream), and Green Tea (antioxidant). 3 types of ceramides as well, for extra reinforcement.
The Colour: I think these 3 give that vibrant yellow/orange: Rosa Mosqueta (Rose) Hip Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Oil.
Note: I don’t like Rose Hip oil and Buckthorn oil in terms of the smell, hence why I’m probably not the biggest fan of the scent of this product.
Texture: BUTTERY. Really reminds me of the Innisfree Real Olive Eye Cream (Review HERE). It’s a lightweight, buttery/fatty product (not a water-based or watery product). It doesn’t run down the face either. It’s super easy to spread around the face and sort of melts with the warmth of the skin so it becomes even lighter once melted. You can see in the pictures, it almost looks like an emulsion or lotion in terms of K-beauty product thickness.
This IS NOT sticky or tacky. It doesn’t abll up or pill on the skin.
This definitely has a more dewy, shiny finish – hence why I would also prefer to use this in the PM (I don’t like to look dewy).
You can see the bright yellow colour of the ‘liquid gold’. This is one pump’s worth of product. I use about 3 altogether for both the face and neck.
It’s a buttery, lightweight product that is readily able to spread across the skin.
It almost looks like egg yolk on the skin.
Do you see it’s becoming more of a dewy finish? It’s melting into the skin and you can see the oils.
YOUTUBE VIDEO – SEE LIVE SWATCHES / LIVE TEXTURES OF THE LIQUID GOLD
Fragrance?: No added Fragrance/Essential Oils – Just smells like the Sea Buckthorn Oil + Rose hip oil – if you like the smell of those particular ingredients, then you’ll like this!
Good Under Makeup?: Have not tried as I don’t use this except before bed (due to the colour)
How long have I been using this?: A month and a half – and I will be using till completion (I’ve got about 1/5th left).
The Effect?: Moisturised skin – it just maintains the skin’s health and glow without irritating or stinging. Stratia state that liquid gold keeps the face healthy, clear and resilient. I do genuinely think it has helped my skin feel good. My skin hasn’t been breaking out or feeling like it’s not at its best, and I do think this moisturiser has helped keep it that way.
Support the Blog!
Giving a donation really helps with the maintenance of the blog! any money made will go towards purchasing products for review!
What I like:
- Great packaging – I love pump packaging as it’s hygienic and makes it quick to use. Also this is that type of mechanism where you shouldn’t waste any product when you get to the end, i.e. it squeezes every bit of the product out.
- I like that I can see how much product I have left (due to the see-through packaging).
- Really lightweight, creamy texture
- No added fragrance
- No essential oils
- Like the well thought-out ingredients to heal/repair and NOT irritate the skin
- Didn’t irritate my skin
- Not sticky
- Doesn’t make my skin feel more dehydrated once absorbed
- I like the addition of Niacinamide in here
What I don’t like:
- The Orange colour does give the skin an orange tint (Disclaimer: This could be because I use a lot BUT, I also use a lot of other creams and they don’t give me a tint).
- Because of the orange colour, I have to use this in the PM
- Because of the orange colour – it stains my pillow (could be due to the fact that I use a lot? but I don’t want to limit how much I use for fear of looking orange, I would rather be adequately moisturised, especially if this is the SOLE moisturiser I’m using in my routine.
- Because this doesn’t disappear into the skin and remains on top of the skin (if you use a good amount of product) that does mean you’re left with an oily/greasy layer on top which is wonderful for the PM (although be careful of pillow if you sleep on your front), and means that this wouldn’t feel comfortable on my skin as an AM moisturiser).
- Smell = Bergamot Oil + rosehip oil (just not a fan of the natural scent of these ingredients) BUT I will say it’s not as potent as the Huda Wishful oil (review HERE)
Overall Rating and Conclusion: 4/5 – A lovely, lightweight moisturiser!
- If you’re looking for a watery, water-bursting moisturiser, then this isn’t it (I would recommend the Krave Oat so Simple HERE) But if you want a moisturiser that has some oil in it, some fatty ingredients BUT isn’t heavy and lets the skin breathe still, I think one may enjoy this. I’m not a fan of oily/fatty creams and the fact that I liked this and found it lightweight enough and used it everyday without feeling like my skin couldn’t breathe, says a lot.
- I do think those with oily skins should really keep their routine simple when using this, so the skin isn’t overwhelmed with serums + creams
- Those who live in hot, humid weather, I do think should still go for more water-based products (as I think this’ll feel too oily / greasy).
- I think what lets this product down is the orange tint/tinge it gives the skin which means I am forced to use this in the PM and can’t wear it in the AM if I wanted to. And of course I have to be worried about staining white pillows.
- The texture is nice, It’s like melted butter on the skin, and yet it can breathe. I do wish this cream could be made without the ingredients contributing to the colour, so I could use this both AM and/or PM. Also I’m not a fan of the smell as Buckthorn/Rosehip just aren’t scents I really enjoy.
Would I purchase?: I would as a PM moisturiser and I would use it when the skin is compromised / irritated. I do prefer watery, more gel-like moisturisers however.
Dupe?: The inkey list hemp moisturiser is the closest thing in texture to this product (of course the ingredients are different) REVIEW HERE
My Skin Type: I am acne prone and have slightly dehydrated combo skin. My skin is usually tight where the cheeks and eye area is and the outer parts of my face. My T zone is oily. My skin isn’t a fan of thick/heavy formulas so I opt for lightweight formulas to prevent it from clogging up. My skin doesn’t like essential oils either and I try to avoid fragrance when I can.
Disclaimer: I am a skincare enthusiast and not a skin expert. I am not qualified to give out dermatological advice. This type of advice should only be given by a medical practitioner. Upon trying / using any of the reviewed products on the blog, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings and please seek medical advice if needed.
3 thoughts on “Review: Stratia Skin Liquid Gold”